Advertisement

Slideshow

Sunday, July 6, 2008

My housemate is descended from Royalty


I was watching the movie Queen Elizabeth : The Golden age, and had a conversation with my housemate, Mr Victor Stewart, who mentioned that he was descended from a royal line. I am pleasantly surprised, a descendant of the Kings is staying with me.

But if you did watch the show, Mary Queen of Scott would then have been his ancestor, though she came to a tragic end. But her descendants have lived on, in places all over the world and one of them is staying with me. Possible i would have to stop my ribbing and be more respectful, who knows maybe he will confer me a knighthood.

The movie was definitely not penned for general public, though the critics raved about the movie, it was definitely not one for the box office.. The performance was great but the plot was just too melodramatic

I was wondering if I too came from a royal line. I know my surname is Han, wonder if i am related to the royal line of the Han dynasty kings. It would be good to search my family tree and find out.

Below is a history of Mr Victor Stewart family tree. So next time you see him. wave at him politely, like you would for a royalty

HISTORY OF THE STEWARTS

The Stewarts were originally descended from a Breton noble family and came to Scotland with David I when he returned from England to claim his throne in 1124. David made Walter fitz Alan the hereditary Lord High Steward of Scotland and it was from the name of this great office of state that the royal dynasty took its name. By the judicious marriage to the daughter of Robert the Bruce, they secured a route to the Scottish throne to which Robert, the 7th High Steward (or Stewart) succeeded in 1371 on the death of Bruce's only son, David II.

So began a dynasty of 14 monarchs, five of which ruled on both sides of the border (starting with James VI of Scotland and I of England and ending with Queen Anne in 1714). For the 200 years that the Stewarts held the office of High Steward, their star was in the ascendant: their power and influence increased and their possessions multiplied. Having secured the throne however, the fates began to conspire against them.

On their accession the Stewarts inherited a land struggling to come to terms with emerging nationhood and torn by powerful noble factions; over the next 400 years they unified it, brought it under central control, and guided it through periods of renaissance, reformation and finally union with England. In the course of this, of the crowned Stewart monarchs, four were murdered or beheaded, two died in battle, one in exile and two reputedly of broken hearts.

Stewart ambitions to regain the throne that they had lost to their Hanoverian cousins were finally extinguished at Culloden in 1746. The last recognised male of the line, Henry, Duke of York, died in Italy in 1807.

0 comments: